Wheal Cunning Mine, Cornwall

Wheal Cunning Mine, Cornwall

Wheal Cunning is an ancient tin mine, worked from 1830 to 1876 with a recorded total output of 460 tons of tin ore. Located west of St Just. Ref.: B. Atkinson: Mining Sites in Cornwall, Vol. 2, Dyllansow Truran (1994)

1872 Wheal Cunning Mine started working in 1872, 3 pumping, 2 stamping and 2 winding engines plus a 62 foot diameter water wheel

1873 Kellys. Wheal Cunning United mine is in the parish and adjoining the town, of St. Just in Penwith, situate 7 miles from Penzance, which is the nearest railway station and shipping place. The mine is held under lease of 21 years, at a royalty of 1-25th tin and 1-20th copper. This mine includes what were formerly Boswedden and Wheal Castle. Wheal Cunning (which was re-opened in 1872) and Boscean Mines. The Wheal Castle portion has been explored for a distance of half-a-mile under the sea. There are three pumping engines, two stamping engines, and two drawing engines: there is also very great water power on this mine, which is used for stamping and drawing purposes. The company is on the costbook system, and consists of 200 shares. Purser and Manager Richard BOYNS, Boswedden House, St. Just. Captains James ROACH, William HATTAM & Charles CLEMENS

 

St Just Area Mines, Cornwall