Boswedden Mine, Cornwall

Boswedden Mine, Cornwall

The Boswedden Mine worked veins on the south side of the The Kenidjack or Nancherrow Valley. The course of the stream roughly corresponds to the boundary of the sett. The dumps on the opposite side of the valley belong to Wheal Castle. Boswedden Mine is about half a mile to the northeast of St. Just. Tregeseal River that flows through the valley was a source of power for the tin streams and other workings along its length.

1837 Boswedden Mine (Wheal Call). Wheal Call ‘Great Wheel’ was the second largest in Britain at 65 feet diameter (19.8 m). The extant masonry wheel pit in the lower Kenidjack Valley above was enlarged around 1865 to accommodate a waterwheel of 52 feet (15.8 m).

1856 Kellys Directory. Boswedden and Wheal Castle Mine is in the parish of St. Just, union of Penzance, hundred of Penwith, Cornwall, and within the mining district of St. Just. It is situated 8 miles from the town of Penzance, which is the nearest shipping place and railway station, and 280 miles from London. The mine is held under a lease for 21 years, at a royalty of 1–24th. The mine is worked by a 36-inch cylinder steam-engine, and one water-wheel. In 1853, the dividends were £372, or £3 per share. The purser is Richard Pearce, of Penzance.

1870's Cape Cornwall Mine was owned by Richard ('Purser') Boyns, manager of Boswedden and brother-in-law of his namesake.

1873 Kellys. Wheal Cunning United mine is in the parish and adjoining the town, of St. Just in Penwith, situate 7 miles from Penzance, which is the nearest railway station and shipping place. The mine is held under lease of 21 years, at a royalty of 1-25th tin and 1-20th copper. This mine includes what were formerly Boswedden and Wheal Castle. Wheal Cunning (which was re-opened in 1872) and Boscean Mines. The Wheal Castle portion has been explored for a distance of half-a-mile under the sea. There are three pumping engines, two stamping engines, and two drawing engines: there is also very great water power on this mine, which is used for stamping and drawing purposes. The company is on the costbook system, and consists of 200 shares. Purser and Manager Richard BOYNS, Boswedden House, St. Just. Captains James ROACH, William HATTAM & Charles CLEMENS

St Just Area Mines, Cornwall