St Just Consols sett worked a number of tin-bearing lodes along the coastline west of Nanquidno, in the area between Hendra and Nanjulian. Among them were the western part of the Wheal Diamond Lode and the inland section of the Polpry Lode, whose western part was worked by Wheal Bull.
1862 April, St Just Consolidated Tin Mines was formed. The mine was equipped with two 24 feet by 3 foot breast water wheels, one for pumping and one working 16 heads of Cornish stamps. The mine also had two adits, one at 17 fathoms, the other 9 fathoms deeper. Two of the directors were Henry Phillips and John Ward, both directors of Cape Cornwall. Managing agent was John Carthew and the purser William Angwin. One of the reports in the prospectus was given by George Henwood, who was one of the principle mineral lords.
1864 Angwin, W.; purser St Just Consols 1864 ; Boyns, Nicholas; land owner St Just Consols
1865 Reports for St Just Consols appeared in the Mining Journal until 1865 but the mine seems to have closed shortly after this.
1870 the sett was taken up by the South St Just Tin Mining Company Ltd. Agents were appointed and the old machinery set to work again but the company disappeared shortly after, having produced no concentrate. The sett was acquired for £5000, half in cash, an arrangement that would save 'years of time and thousands of pounds sterling'.
St Just Consols produced 16 tons 8 cwts of concentrate prior to May 1866.
Today one wheelpit is still visible and there are odd fragments of wall as well as an adit and some opencast workings.
Trevithick Society, St Just Consols
St Just Area Mines