Bosorne Mine is located around the hamlet of Bosorne, about 1 km south of St Just. The first reference appears to be in 1815 when a 1-10th share was advertised in the West Briton. The map of the St Just district in the 1822 paper by Joseph Carne shows a mine called Wheal Vulcan at Bosorne; there are no records of any operations under this name. At some point a mine called Wheal Venton operated in the western Cot Valley, and this was eventually absorbed into the sett.
East Bosorne Mine opened in about May 1853, possibly because of the return of Bosorne Mine was high. No plan exists for Bosorne mine, but the various locations mentioned in the reports match those for Wheal Ellen, which operated during 1852 and 1853, and the two are therefore likely to be the same.
Mining in this area is first recorded in 1507, while a lease from 1656 mentions ‘one tynn worke ther called Whele fatt also the fatt Worke’ and also for the lessees ‘to adventure one dole in every tynworke now workinge, and hereafter to be wrought in any part of the lands and bounds of the higher Bosaverne’. The moor here is not noted for being rich in minerals.
For East Bosorne, the company set up to work the mine had a capital of £6000 in £1 shares, of which £2000 was required for the purchase of the sett and for the cost of working up to February 1st 1853. In November 1853 Nicholas Holman, a local engineer, was waiting for specifications for a pumping engine while the foundations for the engine house were completed by December 12th. The mine closed in about May 1854, very suddenly, having produced just under one ton of concentrate valued at £73 19s 6d - not a resounding success.
Trevithick Society Bosorne Mine
Trevithick Society East Bosorne Mine
St Just Area Mines, Cornwall