The Crowns Mine appears to have been amalgamated with Botallack Mine sometime in the early 19th century.
The Carn Brea Mining Society, a registered charity, was set up primarily to raise funds to restore the Crowns engine houses at Botallack. A lease was obtained and the work commenced in July 1984 and was completed in July 1985. The project became the largest privately sponsored mine engine house restoration project in Cornwall ever attempted up to that date. The Botallack lease has now terminated and the site is owned by the National Trust.
There are two engine houses at the Crowns. The lower house held a 30-inch pumping engine, built in 1835 to replace a smaller engine at the same location. It was built on the bare rock with no foundations, the rocks being bolted and mortared in place.This building weighs around 1200 tons, all brought down the cliff. In addition the metal work weight about 100 tons. Above this is the winder for the Boscawen Diagonal Shaft, built in about 1860. The boiler was brought from a boiler house on the cliff to the north.
Above these engine houses are the remains of two others, the Wheal Hazard whim to the south and the Carn whim directly over the Crowns which raised ore from the surface of the Crowns section and also drove rollers for crushing copper ore. The stack and engine bed-stone still remain here.
The Count House, Botallack (National Trust) contains information about the Crowns and other industrial heritage sites in the area including its calciners, the finest surviving arsenic-refining works in Britain.
St Just Area Mines, Cornwall