These mines comprise the ancient mines of Wheal Providence, Wheal Comfort, Wheal Laity, Wheal Speed, Good Fortune and other small mines, which were consolidated in 1832; the present workings were then commenced in 112 shares and Mr Samuel HIGGS of Penzance, was appointed the purser: the mines having subsequently improved in value, the shares were increased to 500, and afterwards to 1,200ths. They are held under Mr. PRAED, the BASSET Family, Mr. STEPHENS and Mr. GILBERT.
DUNSTAN Philip born 1798, died 1875 "for many years manager of Wheal Providence Mine"
1856 Kellys. Providence Mines are in the parish of Uny Lelant, union of Madron, hundred of West Penwith, Cornwall, and within the mining district of Uny Lelant; situate 2 miles from the town of St. Ives. The nearest shipping places for ores and machinery are at St. Ives and Hayle, 2 miles from the mine, and 272 from London. The mine is held under a lease for 21 years. The country is granite and greenstone. The known lodes on the sett are very numerous, some running east and west, and a few north and south. The machinery consists of one steam-engine for pumping and stamping, and one for winding. The mine is drained by steam-power. The minerals found in this sett include tin, copper and pitch blende. This mine was first opened 200 years ago, or more. This mine is now worked for profit. The company is on the costbook system, and consists of 560 shares of £20 13s. 2d. each, all paid, representing a capital expended by adventurers of £11,569 8s. 1d.; the total amount expended by adventurers, and produce of the mines to end December, 1855, is £183,003 14s. 1d.; the dividends, in 1851, were £1,680, or £3 per share; [1852 omitted] in 1853, £840, or £1 10s. per share; 1854, £980, or £1 15s. per share; in [£]1855, £6,300, or £11 5s. per share; and in February, 1856, £2,800, or £5 per share total amoun of dividends made, £40 per share. The purser is Mr. Samuel Higgs, of Penzance; the Captain is Philip Dunstan, Lelant.
Kellys Directory 1873 Providence mines are in the parish of Lelant, and within the mining district of Uny Lelant: situate 1 mile from the town of St Ives. The nearest shipping places for ores and machinery are at St. Ives and Hayle, 2 miles from the mine, and the nearest railway station is at St. Ives Road, 1.5 miles from the mine, and 304 from London. The mine is held under a lease for 21 years from the year 1871. The country is granite and greenstone. Depth of Engine Shaft 200 fathoms. The known lodes on the sett are very numerous, some running east and west, and a few north and south. The machinery consists of one steam engine for pumping, one for stamping, and one for winding. The mine is drained by steam power. The minerals found in this sett include tin and copper. This mine was originally opened more than 200 years since. The mines are worked by five steam engines of 45-inch and 30-inch, 20-inch, 20-inch and 12-inch cylinders. The company is on the costbook system, and consists of 1,100 shares of £310 6d 7d. There are 450 persons employed. Purser Samuel HIGGS of Penzance. Captains or Agents Phillip ROGERS of Lelant, and Benjamin MARTIN of St. Ives. Manager William HOLLOW
St Ives, Zennor and St Erth Mines