West Wheal Towan or Lelant Wheal Towan and later West Wheal Lucy. This mine was abandoned around 1824. In 1850 it reopened as West Wheal Towan but closed in 1867. Around 1872 the mine was reopened as West Wheal Lucy but was very soon abandoned. Chapel Rock lode had shafts a short distance inland from the cliff; two adits in the beach cliff to the north of the ferry and humps on the golf course are the only remnants to be seen today (Jenkin; Noall 1982, i 18).
Kellys Directory 1871 Wheal Lucy tin mine is in the parish and the manor of Phillack, hundred of west Penwith, and a quarter of a mile from Hayle, which is the nearest railway station. The mine is held under a lease for 21 years from 1871, at a royalty of 1-20th, granted by Rev F HOCKIN of Phillack. The country is slate and killas. There are four known lodes on the sett. This mine was opened in August, 1871, and is worked for tin. Depth of engine shaft 20 fathoms. The mine is worked and drained by a steam engine of 20-inch cylinder. The company is on the costbook system and consists of 5,000 shares. Offices at St Michaels house, St Michael's Alley, cornhill London. Purser George EUSTICE Jun. Hayle. Agents William HARRIS and John NANCARROW Phillack
Kellys Directory 1873. West Wheal Lucy tin and copper mine in the parish of Lelant, and within the mining district of Lelant, 2 miles from the town of St. Ives. St. Ives Road is the nearest railway station, 1 mile distant. This mine is held under a lease for 21 years, at a royalty of 1-20th, granted by the trustees of the late W. B. PRAED esq. The country is Killas, nearest granite at Trencrom Hill, close courses several. The dip is 3 feet 6 inches in the fathom. Minerals found are tin and copper. The company is on the costbook system, and consists of 2,000 shares. Purser George EUSTACE junior Hayle. Agents William HARRIS and John NANCARROW
There had been some ancient tin workings on the Towans, mostly worked out by the 19th century, but in 1872, the Reverend William Hockin, Rector of Phillack, formed a new company on acquiring the Riviere estate and spent vast sums on equipping a new mine (Wheal Lucy) employing 60 men. It never paid and closed in 1874, with an unsuccessful attempt at re-working in the 1890s
St Ives, Zennor and St Erth Mines