Polberro Mine, Cornwall

Polberro Mine

Polberro Mine is reported on from way back in time. Polberro Mine was extremely rich, and produced some of the purest tin found in the world. Large crystals of tin (known as diamond tin) were discovered and were so pure that they went straight to the smelters without any refining or purification being carried out. Polberro and Trevaunance Mines were united, and worked as Polberro Mine

Polberro Mine incorporates many other , including Wheal Kine, Wheal Pell, Turnavore, Prosper, Park, Squidler and several smaller mines of which all traces have been lost. The sett, or boundary, of mining extends northwards from Wheal Friendly to the coast west of Trevaunance Cove, and ends at the cliffs 600yds east of New Downs Head. In the west is North Sea Hole, in the north Wheal Klne and Trevaunance mines, at the centre are Wheal Pell and Wheal Pye and in the east are Polberro and Turnavore mines.

1600 Various small mines which are later to form Polberro Mine are working at St. Agnes.

1830s the mine employs 480 people

1837 Polberro entered into its main period, which was to continue until 1895, employing 450 people in 1838. During this time it sold an average of 30 tons of tin a month

1843 February 24th, West Briton newspaper –‘a surface of upwards of 200 acres, and contain 24 shafts, 9 of which are now in full working, with 3,000 fathoms of levels….’

1846 Queen Victoria visits the Polberro Mine in St Agnes, Cornwall. The mine at Polberro became known as 'Royal Polberro Consols' After Queen Victoria visited the mine.

1896 H Thomas in his ‘Cornish Mining Interviews’ said: ‘I can remember about 14 or 15 mines at work. But after tin fell seriously in 1874 the number began to diminish. Now the only mines at work are West Kitty, Wheal Kitty, Polberro and Blue Hills. Wheal Friendly cannot battle with hard times any longer and is about to be wound up…..’

1920s, only Wheal Kitty, West Kitty, Polberro and Wheal Friendly survived, because they were run as a single concern, with re-investment in 1926 on a new shared dressing floor.

1930. The mines in the group have all been closed despite some small-scale tin streaming.

1941The last mine to work in St Agnes was at Polberro closed.

1950s exploratory and speculative works.

St Agnes Area Mines