Cusvey (various spellings early on Coosvea/Coosvean/Cuzveth) is at the eastern end of the parish of Gwennap, immediately to the north-east of Wheal Fortune Mine, and for most of their existence the two mine setts were associated together.
Tin dues for Cusvey ('Cuzveth') were paid to the Manor of Cusgarne between 1734 and 1764. By 1790 Wheal Fortune was an important copper producer, and the lodes in Cusvey section were a significant part of the mine. Between 1792 and 1796 the mine suffered a loss of over £7,000, but in 1797-98 it made a profit of nearly £12,000.
In 1819 Richard Thomas reported that although the mines were idle, they had made considerable profits, and the setts were then being incorporated into John Taylor's Consolidated Mines, which was to become the largest copper producer in the world. John Taylor, a highly successful mining entrepreneur, obtained leases for all the mines along the strike of Wheal Virgin lodes, from Carharrack in the west to Wheal Fortune in the east.
On the 1821 plan there are two engine shafts shown, West Engine Shaft, to the west of Chapel's Shaft and Bawden's Engine Shaft at the eastern end of the main workings. Woolf's Engine Shaft was not shown, as it was not sunk until the mid-1820s, when a second-hand 90-inch engine was erected there in 1826. In the Cusvey section two shafts are shown, Coosvea Shaft and Coosvea East Shaft. Coosvea Lode was also depicted, confirming that it was the same lode as is seen on the 1780 period map as 'Bread and Cheese Lode'.
After it was taken into Clifford Amalgamated Mines, Cusvey played a diminishing role in local copper production. By 1870 the whole group closed and Wheal Fortune and Cusvey had their remaining engines and machinery sold or scrapped.
Trevithick Society Cusvey Mine
Carnon Valley Mines