Carn Camborne Mine

Carn Camborne Mine

Carn Camborne Mine dates back some time. In 1727 the Bassets’ Heart’s Ease Mine, on the site of what was to become Carn Camborne, was already an old copper-producing mine. The group of small mines that eventually merged to become Carn Camborne remained the main producers throughout this period. By the 1750s the mine was amongst the larger copper mines in the area. Although there were a number of other small tin and copper mines locally, they employed few and produced relatively little, and details of their histories remain largely unrecorded.

The copper boom experienced by the whole Camborne area in the 1820s and 1830s stimulated the exploration of several old and newly subdivided setts in the Beacon area. The old mine on Carn Camborne remained productive and Carn Camborne continued, with some interruptions, to produce copper (plus some tin production later in its life), but like all the mines it suffered in the early 1870s and closed for six years in 1874.

Camborne was re-opened in 1880, and worked for a few years, eventually to be absorbed with Camborne Vean and Wheal Harriet by Dolcoath (1897).

Today

The mix of cottages and villas on the south side of Fore Street facing the site of Carn Camborne Mine remains largely unaltered, as does the row of some eight houses with plots on the north side and the large villa (Bella Vista) on the site of the original Heart’s Ease Mine. Nothing survives of Carn Camborne mine itself other than its boundary wall which has been
pierced to allow for later bungalow development. The Carn Camborne chimney, for so long a landmark in the area with its distinctive square castellated design, was dynamited in 1972

The Company

The mine was 0.5 miles from Camborne railway station. The nearest ports were Portreath and Hayle, 3.5 and 7 Miles distant. The mine is under a lease of 21 years granted by the late J F Bassett esq., and Sir Richard Vyvyan Bart. the country is killas and granite. There were four known lodes. Two shafts were sunk. The engine or main shaft is sunk 125 fathoms from the surface. There are the following levels in this shaft, adit, 13,30,40,50,60,70,85 and 95 fathom levels. The western shaft is sunk 40 fathoms from the surface. there are the following levels in this shaft, adit,13, 30 and 40. The mine is worked and drained by a steam engine of 26-inch cylinder, and is now worked for copper and tin. the company is on the costbook system, and is in 5,584 shares

Secretary J HARDING, Salisbury
Manager John ROWE Calstock
Captain William PENBERTHY, Camborne

Camborne Mines