Restaurants in Cornwall
Call me cynical, but the weight of tourism has driven the quality of the restaurants
downwards. Probably the best buy on the mass market is a crab sandwich for lunch
in a pub. And if you want a pub, my list of favourites
will all be able to supply you with a decent crab sandwich.
This page is mainly to tell you about restaurants. Being a man who likes fresh
food, properly cooked, we have taken so care ourselves to look out good restaurants.
There may be more than we have yet visited, but I doubt that there are many
If you go to any of the standard reference books of good food restaurants,
you will not find many listed in Cornwall. Here are the ones that we can recommend
as we have eaten there ourselves.
And to any Cornish restaurateurs who read this, remember nobody pays me to
write this, so I can write it without bias! If you want to pan, or ignore our
restaurant, the great thing about the Internet is that you can write your own
site, and say whatever you want.
- Padstow, Rick Steins Fish Restaurant.
- Undoubtedly currently Cornwall's best restaurant. The only two provisos
are that it is very expensive, and bookings are difficult to get.If in
doubt, try the Stein's St Petroc Bistro which is nearby.
- Newquay, Corisande Manor Hotel,
- It would be a poor thing if I did not give my own restaurant a plug.
In my defence I can say that we do have an AA rosette.
- Calstock, Danescombe Valley
- In a wooded valley overlooking the Tamar. Fixed price, no choice menu,
but wonderful food
- Fowey, Food for Though
- Right on the quay at Fowey. The seafood is, not surprisingly for its position,
- Golant, Cormorant
- Set above the small fishing village of Golant, down some very narrow roads,
but the hotel has views that make the trip worthwhile. We enjoyed both the
food and the atmosphere
- Liskeard, Well House
- A tucked away country house, with a polished and professional approach
to food and service
- Penzance, Wards Brasserie
- Definitely a brasserie, hence not chic, but it must serve one of the
best value for money lunches anywhere in the UK. I was embarrassed that
I could not pay them more for such excellent food
- Polzeath, Cornish Cottage Hotel
- A small hotel restaurant, above Polzeath. Good decor, and with a bias
- Portreath, Tabbs
- Good food in the not so fashionable resort of Portreath. The Tabbs take
their cooking seriously, and the restaurant is well worth a visit
- St Mawes, Idle Rocks Hotel
- Good views from right on the waters edge. The food we found very good,
but the service was not particularly friendly
- Owned by Olga Forte (that was) we had a good lunch sitting on their
terrace overlooking the waterfront at St Mawes. Choose a sunny day so
that you can sit outside under a sun umbrella
Cornwall Tourist Information
Cornwall Calling front page
The hotel to stay at when
visiting Cornwall is Corisande
Manor Hotel, Cornwall find out more about it