Antony House is a superb example of the early 18th century house in Cornwall. Home of the great Cornish family of Carew, Antony contains a wealth of paintings, tapestries, furniture and embroideries. Overlooking the Lynher River, the grounds landscaped by Repton include a formal garden with a national collection of day lilies, fine summer borders, water sculptures and a knot garden.
The Carew family had owned the estate since 1492, and Antony House was built between 1711-1721 for Sir William Carew. The house is faced in silvery-grey Pentewan stone, flanked by colonnaded wings of mellow brick. The house managed to escape the "modernisations" that ruined so many large houses in the Victorian period. Apart from the addition of a 19th century porch the house has been unaltered since. It its superbly sited on a peninsula with the River Tamar to the east and the River Lynher to the north.
Antony House was given to the National Trust in 1961 by Sir John Carew Pole. The gardens are in the care of Carew Pole Garden Trust.
Antony House a wonderful collection of paintings. The portrait collection includes canvases by Reynolds. A portrait of Richard Carew, a historian and author of the 'Survey of Cornwall' who inherited the estate in 1564, and a portrait of Charles I at his trial.
The rooms are panelled in Dutch oak and some contain the original 18th century furniture. They also contain fine china pieces, tapestries, and embroideries.
Antony's superb 25 acre landscaped garden are currently managed by the Carew Pole Garden Trust. The garden is partly the work of Humphry Repton (who who removed the formal parterres to the north of the house in the late 18th century), and partly of Mr Pole Carew who redesigned the garden in 1800 ( adding the topiary and yew hedges). The landscaped gardens now include a formal courtyard, terraces, ornamental Japanese pond, fine summer borders, sculptures and knot garden. In addition the gardens are the home for the national collection of Hemerocallis (day lily of which there are 610 cultivars). Lawns sweep down to the River Tamar. The garden also contains a collection of stone carvings from the North West Frontier of India and a temple bell from Burma brought back by General Sir Reginald Pole-Carew.
There is also a natural woodland of 50 acres bordering the estuary of the River Lynher. The woodland garden (owned privately by the Carew Pole Garden Trust) has an display of rhododendrons, azaleas, camellias and magnolias, and surrounding woods provide delightful walks. There are many magnificent trees including a black walnut and cork oak. Also a 18th-century dovecote and 1789 Bath Pond House.
National Trust in Cornwall
Historic Houses in Cornwall
The hotel to stay at when visiting Cornwall is Corisande Manor Hotel, Cornwall find out more about it