Wheal Pool, Helston, Mount's Bay District, Cornwall, England, UK
Located 1.2kms SW of Helston on the east side of the river Cober, Wh Pool developed a N-S lead lode to a depth of 50 fathoms (92mts). And is belived to have been at work well before its first recorded working in 1790. Mines in the area were exploited in the 1580's by the Company of Mines Royal. In the 1790 working the mine had it's own smelter producing up to 50oz silver per ton of lead ore. The mine continued to be worked untill 1796. In this year the owners of nearby Wheal Rose were looking at the Pool fire engine (Steam Beam Engine) with a view to purchase for their mine.

Pool is said to have closed due to a dispute between the owners. Although it is also recorded that the lode was cut off by slide to the south. Development was by opencast methods and by three working shafts. The next recorded working was in 1853. It is also recorded that as well as the main N-S lead lode the sett also contained two other lodes. The owners had a large tracked of ground underlease, including The Loe (an expance of water cut off from the sea by a mud/gravel bar). They re-opened an adit driven through the cliffs at the southern end of The Loe to drain it (driven in the 1790 working to stop the water backing up and drowning the mine). By doing this the owners were able to remove up to 8mts of mud sediments, and work up to 1.25mts of alluvial cassiterite gravel/mud. The out flow frow this adit was used by tin streamers to work the tailings dumps of the mine.There was some prospecting at the mine about 1883, when test pits located the continuation of the lode south of the slide.

There are no recorded output figures for lead, silver or tin.