The parish of Carnmenellis was created by Act of Parliament, and was gazetted on 9th January 1846. It was created from part of Wendron parish to meet the requirements of increasing population. The the parish is named after the Cornish for a rocky hill 'Carn' plus an unknown word. The hill rises to an altitude of 822 feet. On its summit is a pile of rocks, consisting of four flat thin stones; the upper one is circular, its diameter being about 19 feet. The pile is encircled with a row of stones and a trench about 36 feet in diameter. There are also two or three tumuli on the top of this hill, in which Roman coins have been found.
* Perranarworthal Silver Hill Mine (Wheal Helston)
* Ponsanooth o Roskrow United Mine (South Tresavean Mine)
* Ponsanooth o Wheal Magdalen