Basset and Grylls Mine workings go back to at least 1574 as the Redde Worke later turned into the Ball Reeth. Basset & Grylls Mine was also known as Porkellis United. The pumping engine house at Tyacke’s Shaft was built in 1858 following the tragic flooding of an older section of the mine when water and fine-grained tin ‘slimes’ collapsed into the workings.
1858 August 24th - 7 miners were killed when a surface slimes pond collapse into the mine flooding it. This was the worse mining accident recorded in the district. The mine was one mile east of Poldark. A number of the miners had begun supplementing their income by extracting ore from an abandoned section of the mine. They carried on mining for a number of weeks, moving ever closer to the bottom of a lake. Eventually the ground gave way and the mine was flooded. Forty three men managed to escape, but seven were drowned and there bodies never recovered. Local rumour has it that one of the drowned miners kept all his savings in gold sovereigns in a belt around his waist because he did not trust his wife with his earnings. The treasure, it is said, remains at the bottom of the mine.
1850's East Basset & Grylls Mine, Porkellis, Wendron, An unproductive trial for tin, worked mainly during the 1850's. The site is marked by a single shaft near the lane from Porkellis church to Lower Porkellis. Ref.: B. Atkinson: Mining Sites in Cornwall, Vol. 2, Dyllansow Truran (1994)
1873 Kellys Wheal Bassett & Grylls Mine. In the parish of Wendron, 4 miles from Helston, and 6 from Redruth, Camborne and Penryn. The nearest shipping port is at Porthleven. It is worked for tin by a costbook company, consisting of 2,052 shares, and held on a 21 years lease from 1861, granted by Lord ROBARTES, Col. GRYLLS and G L BASSET esq., at a royalty of 1-20th. The country is granite, and there are fourteen known lodes in the sett. The working is on the Willcock lode, bearing 28 deg North, north of east, with a south underlie. It has an adit 13 fathoms from the surface, and there are three working shafts which have a depth of 15 25 and 35 fathoms below the adit level. The machinery comprises a 22-inch cylinder double rotary steam engine with 48 heads of stamps attached, two horse whims, a water wheel working 20 heads of stamps. Purser Joseph Walker TYACKE Helston. Manager William OATES Helston. Chief Agent Paul PRISKE
1918 Owners, Porkellis Tin Mines Ltd., Capel House, 54, New Broad St., London of Bassett and Grylls Mine, Wendron
Wendron Mining District