Restormel Royal Iron Mine was originally called Trinity Mine in 1797 when Philip Rashleigh obtained fine specimens of crystallised goethite for his collection. It was renamed Restormel Royal Iron Mine after a visit Queen Victoria and Prince Albert in September 1846. The mine captain described how Prince Albert "took the pick, and he thawed it like a man! and he got a bit of ore" On the departure of the Royal party, 120 miners "were ready to cheer 'em as they drove off, all red like Injians from the red of the main [lode] and we did cheer to be sure, as never was before". After the royal visit, Queen Victoria commanded 50 gold sovereigns to be distributed among the miners
In the years of greatest output (1855 - 1876), Cornwall never produced more than a fraction of one per cent of Britain's iron, even though over 80 mines sold varying amounts.
Kellys Directory 1873 The mine is held under a lease
of 21 years at a royalty of 1-15th granted by the Duchy of Cornwall to Messrs
John TAYLOR and sons of London. The country is slate, and the dip east. The
nearest granite is at Lanlivery, 1 mile distant. There is one lode, which runs
north and south, and dips 1 foot in the fathom; it consists of iron, quartz
and flucan. There are no known cross courses. all the workings are above the
deep adit, and all ores etc are brought out by horses over railroads through
the said adit.
The mine is drained by a deep adit. the mine was first opened and worked by Mr Adam THOMPSON, under the name of the Restormel Mine; it was afterwards worked by Messrs. John TAYLOR and sons, under the name of the Restormel Royal Iron Mine Company. The company is on the costbook system, and consists of 48 shares. Purser John P BENNETTS Falmouth. Captain James LACKETT. Managers John Taylor and sons. London Offices 6 Queen Street Place, Upper Thames Street
Restormel Royal Iron Mine closed in 1883.
Mining in St Austell Area