Crinnis Mine was also recorded under the name Great Crinnis & Carlyon Consolidated. Records show that it was producing copper ores as early as 1809. It worked the area along the coast 2 miles South East of St. Austell. The mineral lodes occur in the vicinity of Fanny’s Beach, the first beach west of Crinnis Beach. Plans show shafts inland of Gull Island.
Notable mines in the area included the Great Crinnis Mine, part of which is now covered by the grounds of the Carlyon Bay Hotel, Cuddra, Greensplat, and Goonbarrow. The workings at Great Crinnis Mine extended out under the sea
Records of output are: Crinnis 1815-33, 38,330 tons of 5.25% copper ore, Great Crinnis 1854-69 and 1877, 3,758 tons of 6% copper ore, 1854-60, 182 tons of 56 % lead ore (Galena/Lead sulphide), 950 oz. of silver (most likely mined in the form of Argentiferous Galena) and 572 tons of Pyrite(Iron sulphide). Great Crinnis & Carlyon 1878-81, 408 tons of 9% copper ore, 29.5 tons of ‘Silver ore’.
Not all of Cornwall's silver came from lead mines. In a few places the lodes were so argentiferous that they supported operations which were primarily silver producing, with little associated lead output. At least 11 mines operated on this basis during the late 1870s and early 1880s, of which Great Crinnis was one of the most important. By 1887, all lead and silver mining had ceased in Cornwall.
In the early years of the twentieth century it is known that small amounts of Sphalerite(Zinc sulphide) were extracted from the cliff workings.
Mining in St Austell Area