Wheal Coates tin mine is south of St Agnes, on the cliffs near Chapel Porth. Wheal Coates mine at goes down to the sea and at high tide you can hear the waves crashing against the rocks through a grate on the floor of the ruin. The particularly high quality tin of St Agnes was formed by action between the granite and the complex rock around the area's cliffs.
Wheal Coates mine produced mainly tin, and is 200 feet above the sea.
1872 the mine opened when the Towanroath engine houses for winding and the stamps were built. Wheal Coates, Towanroath Shaft is now Listed Grade II. The pumping engine house of this tin and copper mine was fairly massive to pump out the deeper levels which ran out beneath the sea.
The present company have been working since the year 1872, and have erected thereon two engine houses, with pumping, winding and stamping engines. The lease is for 21 years from 5th June 1872. The depth of the mine is 90 fathoms. It employs about 70 hands, The shipping places are Hayle, Portreath, Trevaunance Pier, St Agnes and Truro. Secretary W BATTYE 16 Great Winchester Street London. Purser Nicholas BRYANT Beacon, St Agnes. Engineers MITCHELL AND JENKIN Redruth. Chief Agent W H MARTIN Breage by Helston. Clerk R T COATES on the mine. Offices 16 Great Winchester Street London
1889 the mine it closed
1911 an attempt made to re-open the mine.
1914 finally closed
Wheal Coates site today is notable for its three of engine houses for winding pumping and stamping. All three stand dramatically on the cliff-side. Wheal Coates is now maintained by the National Trust, which has consolidated all the built structures. In addition there is an early and well-preserved open-working on a tin lode and an unusual double-bayed reverberatory calciner.
St Agnes Area Mines