Wheal Charlotte Mine is one mile south of Towanroath. The mine was opened in 1806, when it was known as North Towan, as its backers hoped to exploit the rich copper lode that was yielding good profits at Wheal Towan. However, the results were disappointing and it was soon closed.
It was reopened again in the 1830s to work copper, when it was called New Charlotte after Great Wheal Charlotte, another nearby mine.
1856 Kelly's Directory, shows it as working.
1877, renamed as Charlotte United.
Wheal Charlotte and Charlotte United were bought by the National Trust in 1956 and there is access on foot to the entire area.
St Agnes Area Mines