The Prince Of Wales Quarry and Engine House found near Trebarwith on the B3263. The former slate quarry is owned by the Duchy Of Cornwall and leased to the North Cornwall District Council as an amenity and wildlife area. Today it is the home for many unusual plants and birds including Buzzards.
The Quarry's pumps were steam powered and the engine house is a prominent feature in the landscape. Prince Of Wales engine house had a Woolf Compound Beam Engine. The engine house was erected in 1870 and was used both to pump water from the quarry and to haul stone. The engine was removed for scrap during the First World war.
Slate Mines and Quarries in Cornwall