Penhale Mine (Penhale & Lomax), Perranporth is known to have been at work in 1777 when it produced 41 tons of lead ore, but in common with other mines in this area it is probably much older.
From this date Penhale appears to have been at work until about 1826.
1830 It was reopened but only lasted a year due to the low price of lead.
1848 the mine was amalgamated with Wheal Golden to the north, and East Wheal Golden.
1855 An entry in the cost book for Wheal Agar states that two men were taking out an engine at Penhale Mine for which they were paid £6.50. According to Mr Kenneth Brown, author of "Exploring Cornish Mines" series this engine was advertised for sale in June 1855 and had a cylinder diameter of 60 inches. During December 1855 the dismantling of the engine was under the supervision of Capt. Champion of Wheal Agar who was charged £2.50 for five weeks board and lodging at Cubert . The road to Penhale had to be repaired in places and carriage and horses was supplied by George Sara for transporting the engine, for which he charged £77.00
1867 to about 1870. further reworking. Dines records that iron ore was also worked possibly from the Perran Iron Lode. Which the Wheal Golden-Penhale lead lode must intersect with.
100 tons of copper ore
1475 tons of lead ore
7150 oz of silver (from lead ore)
7100 tons of iron ore
Ligger House on Penhale Point is the former count house for Penhale Mine. Miners would bid for underground leases (or pitches) and these auctions would be conducted from the 1st floor of the building. It is owned by the MOD and is on MOD land. Following its designation as a Listed Building, Ligger House continues to be maintained and used by the military for non- operational purposes. Picture of Ligger House at Penhale Mine
Mines on the North Cornwall Coast