Gravel Hill Mine, Perranzabuloe, worked the western end of the Great Perran Iron lode. Gravel Hill Mine is in the north-eastern corner of Perran Sands. The Perran Iron Lode extends from the coast at Gravel Hill mine for almost 5 km running WNW-ESE, dipping to the SW, is up to 20m wide and is a very substantial structure. It has been worked by a number of opencast and underground mines.
At Gravel Hill the lode was developed by a beach adit and shafts on the cliff top. The lode was also worked about 155mts inland in an opencast called the Big Iron Pit. The Iron lode is crossed by a N-S lead lode worked a short distance to the north in Wheal Phoenix, and East Wheal Golden.
The lode is proven to 60 fathoms deep and is split vertically into North Branch (15 ft. wide) and South Branch (40 ft. wide), the two being separated by a 'horse' of killas approximately 45 ft. wide.
Originally the mine was known as Penhale Iron Mine, Gravel Hill is know to have been at work before 1728, also in the 1840's; and from 1874-82. Output figures are only available for the last working. When it produced about 8000 tons of iron ore, and 30 tons of zinc ore.
In excess of 35,000 tons of 'Spathose' ore was extracted during the life of the mine.
Mines on the North Cornwall Coast