Not to be outdone, John Taylor from his mines near Carharrack and St. Day also built a railway but to new wharves at Devoran on the Fal River. This line was called the Redruth and Chasewater Railway and opened in 1824. It extended eventually to Wheal Buller and Redruth via Carharrack and Lanner, although a line on to Chacewater was never built. From the port of Portreath the raw tin ore would go to the smelters of Wales and to onward exportation. Tin smelting requires a higher heat than copper and in Wales coal was cheap. Coal was shipped back to Cornwall to work the mighty steam pumping engines that raised the gallons of water from bottom of the wet mines.
Into the wharves at Devoran would come the timber and other goods needed to keep the mines in production, as well as coals and iron, for the major foundry at nearby Perran-ar-worthal Traffic on the Redruth and Chasewater line survived until well into the 20th century.
Gwennap Area Mines.