Great Condurrow Mine is first mentioned in the mining journals in 1815. Condurrow produced its first copper ore in the mid 1820's. Their good quality ore achieved a price of over £8 a ton in 1825, as opposed to the more usual £6.76 locally. The mine increased production but only operated for a short time before closing in 1830.
1844 Great Condurrow was reopened along with a mine called 'Old Tye' about 300 metres to the south. In 1845, Baroness Grenville granted a lease to work the area to the southwest. This was to become Wheal Grenville Sett. The ore produced at the re-opened mine was of a far lower grade than previously. The mine was struggling financially for the next few years until black tin was discovered at depth. Dividends were paid for the first time in 1849.
Details of the structure, shafts and drives of the mine were not recorded until 1850. The main shafts at this time being Pryce's Sump Shaft, supporting a 36-inch pumping engine; Vivian's shaft (named after the mine manager Capt. N. Vivian); Hope's Shaft and Woolf's (later renamed Neame's) Shaft. Extracts from the Mining Journal for Xmas 1852 show that copper and tin was produced in almost equal measure by an underground workforce of just under 200 men and boys.
Extraction and production costs rose, and it was not possible to offer dividends after mid-1857. Captain Vivian, the Mine Manager resigned in 1861. The company continued to run the mine at a loss and the mine was eventually abandoned in 1873.
All that is visible today of Great Condurrow Mine is the engine house that used to contain an 80 inch pumping engine working on the 1700 ft deep Woolf's shaft. The engine itself was not new as it had previously pumped water from West Chiverton mine and also Gwennap United mines. The engine house is in such good condition as it only dates from about 1906 when the mine was last (briefly) reopened.