This mine has a long history. The ground was worked under the name Wheal Prosper
in the 1830s when it was part of Cornwall Great United Mines. The mine reopened
in 1847 as South Phoenix and reached a depth of 120 fathoms by 1854. The mine
reopened in 1862 but an outlay of £35,000 only yielded ore worth £150.
The mine reopened again in 1870 and used a winding engine from Gonamena Mine;
this operation closed during the slump of 1875. Other openings in 1881 and 1888
were unsuccessful. The mine was last worked between 1906 and 1910 when it was
owned by Cornish Consolidated Tin Mines Ltd.