Harrowbarrow & Prince of Wales Mines

Harrowbarrow & Prince of Wales Mines

Harrowbarrow & Prince of Wales Mines (Wheal Newton (Barnard); Harrowbeer; Harrowbarrow Consols; Wheal Goodluck; East Wheal Brothers; Wheal Pleasant; Calstock United; Calstock Mines ). This group of mines also included Wheal Fortune, Wheal George, Wheal Queen and West Edward, South Harrowbarrow. The minerals anatase, childrenite, molybdenite, ramsbeckite, schulenbergite, scorodite were found in the Prince of Wales.

Only the Prince of Wales lode was developed to any great depth - to 193 fathoms below surface (353mts), for a length of about 200 fathoms (366mts). Development on the other lodes was to no more than a 50 fathom level below adit.

Recorded output;
18000 tons of copper ore.
1110 tons of tin ore.
23 tons of lead ore.
27 tons of manganese.
10120 tons of pyrite.
6753 tons of arsenical pyrite (?arsenopyrite)
532 tons of arsenopyrite.
2 tons of arsenic.
20 tons of silver ore.
421 oz silver.


1580 The first reference to the mines being worked as Wheal Goodluck. The lode was described as a great Margasly (?pyrite) lode bearing silver.

1774 Harrowbarrow mine was offered for sale as a copper and tin mine.

1805 there is a record of the mine working, but was soon abandoned.

1825-6 Harrowbarrow was reopened as Wheal Goodluck again and produced 37 tons of copper ore.

1835 the mine was at work under two names one called East Wheal Brothers. This working lasted until 1848, and is believed some copper and tin, and £700 of silver was produced. The mine was drained by a Sims double cylinder (compound) beam engine 38inch/20inch (Higher pressure steam entered the small cylinder, and was then reused at a lower pressure in the larger cylinder).

In about 1822-23 Prince of Wales may have been worked under the name Calstock mines, and produced 92 tons of copper ore.

In 1850 Prince of Wales (Wheal Pleasant) with Harrowbarrow mine was included under the name of Calstock United. The group of mines continued to be reworked in various amalgamations and names until 1914.

Prince of Wales was prospected in 1928 but no production resulted.

The most recent activity was was around 1977 when a level was driven northward towards Hingston Down, again no production resulted. It would appear that most of the silver ore came from the Wheal Queen section, which was developed on a tracked of the Wheal Brothers lode. Another mine which was also rich for silver ore.

 

Callington Mines