Drakewalls Mine produced mainly tin, also some copper, wolfram, arsenic, molybdenum, lead, & silver, originally from a long "gunnis" or open cutting.
Worked from: 11th Century to 1905 (also 1909-10), with periods of closure.
1847 - Company Chairman, Percival Norton Johnson (also with interests in Johnson
1860 Drakewalls Mining Co.
1877 Drakewalls Mining Co.
1878-1882 Drakewalls Tin & Copper Mining Co.
1883 Drakewalls United Tin & Copper Mining Co
1884-1890 Drakewalls Tin & Copper Mining Co.
1891-1898 Drakewalls Mining Co.Ltd.
1897-98 In Liquidation
1901 John Taylor & Sons
1902-1904 Drakewalls Ltd.
1906-1913 British Mining & Metal Co.Ltd.
1859-1871 Gregory, Thomas Manager
1872-1877 Skewis, William Manager
1878-1881 Bawden, Moses Arthur Manager
1883 - Bawden, Moses Manager
1892-1898 Bawden, Moses Manager
1859-1862 Betteley, E. Secretary
1863-1869 Clogg, Richard Secretary
1870-1871 Richard Clogg & Son Secretary
1872-1890 Bawden, Moses Arthur Secretary
1891-1898 Lavington, W.J. Secretary
1859 Andrews, J. Chief Agent
1860-1865 Hosking, James Chief Agent
1867-1868 Gregory, Thomas Chief Agent
1869-1871 Hosking, James Chief Agent
1870-1873 Coath, R.P. Chief Agent
1873-1876 Dunstan, Edward Chief Agent
1879-1881 Dunstan, Edward Chief Agent
1889-1892 Rodda, H. Chief Agent
1893 Hosking, James Chief Agent
1894-1898 Bawden, Moses Arthur Chief Agent
1904 Hooper, J. Chief Agent
1906-1913 Heap, J.H. Chief Agent
1889 - 1892 Rodda, Henry Mine Captain
1844 The first use of a method for separating wolfram from tin, devised by Dr. Robert Oxland.
1859 The mine employed 398 people. William Francis Tucker (15) was killed at the mine, buried 20 March.
1860s The management refused to employ members of a newly-formed Union, and there was a strike Eventually it ws only brought to an end by the use of troops and the employment of miners from other areas.
1861 The mine employed 350 people.
1869 Thomas Gerry, of Calstock, and John Adams, of Metherell, were killed in accidents at the mine.1884 70 men were employed underground and 60 at the surface.
1891 48 people were employed below ground and 50 at the surface.
1895 53 people were employed below ground and 59 at the surface.
1889 - 5 February. A Mining Accident, . 4 men went underground at 7 a.m. to carry our maintenance. Henry Davis, John (Jack) Tucker, John Rule and William Bant. Rule and Bant were to release sand to fll a worked out area, and Tucker and Davis were positioned to tell them when to stop. The sand suddenly started falling too fast, Tucker and Davis, covered in sand, struggled out of the shaft, but Bant and Rule remained - entombed.
They remained there for 2 nights as resuce failed, until the arrival of H.M. Inspector of Mines (Archibald E. Pinching) on the 7 February. A second major rescue plan was led by Thomas Chapman, the 'pitman'.
Working in groups of three, the miners used small blasts of dynamite to excavate a channel down to the entombed men. By 10a.m.the following morning they made verbal contact with the two men. Renewed efforts were made, led by Moses Bawden (the purser), Captain Richards (the agent) and Albert Pinching, the Inspector. A small hole was finally blasted through to the men at 9 p.m. and food and water was lowered the 18 fathoms down. The rescuers were then able to enlarge the hole, Tom Chapman was lowered down and Bant and Rule pulled clear by midnight.The mine agent was censured for not reporting the matter to the Inspector immediately.
1901 20 people were employed below ground and 20 at the surface.
1908 The mine employed 2 people below ground and 4 at the surface..
1918 The mine employed 3 men below ground
The former mine site at Drakewalls, near Albaston is now managed by Cornwall County Council and is open to the public.