St Anthony's Head lighthouse, built in 1835, stands on the eastern side of the entrance to Falmouth Harbour and warns of the Manacles rocks, south of the harbour entrance.
Before St Anthony's Head lighthouse was built, the Killigrew family flew a large red flag from an elm tree to show wind direction, but this was eventually taken down in 1779 to avoid its being used by invading fleets.
The present lighthouse was built by Olver of Falmouth, Cornwall, work started in May 1834, and the light first shone in April 1835.
The light warns ships of Black Rock in the centre of the channel into Falmouth Harbour, and also of the Manacles Rocks offshore.
The light itself originally came from 8 Argand oil lamps, changed to pressure vapour and eventually to electricity when mains electricity was connected in 1954. Today the light is automated, flashing every 15 seconds, with a red sector for the Manacles Rocks and a range of 22 miles. The fog horn blasts once every 30 seconds and is positioned 10.7 metres above high water level on a platform.
Saint Anthony’s Lighthouse was automated in 1987.
return to Lighthouses page
The hotel to stay at when visiting Cornwall is Corisande Manor Hotel, Cornwall find out more about it