|The off shore reefs, Pendeen, Cornwall||the on shore lighthouse|
Designed by Trinity House and built in 1900 by Arthur Carkeek of Redruth. Built of rubble stone, with a cement facing.
The original lens apparatus is still used, weighs 2.5 tons, and floats on a mercury bed. The light source ahs changed though, from the concentric oil fired wicks to mains electricity in 1926. There is a stand by generator on site in case of mains failure.
The present light has a range of 28 miles, with 4 flashes every 15 seconds. There is also a fog signal with a blast every 20 seconds
return to lighthouses page
Cornwall Tourist Information Cornwall Calling front page
The hotel to stay at when visiting Cornwall is Corisande Manor Hotel, Cornwall find out more about it