Port Eliot is the family home of Earl of St Germans in the village of St Germans, Saltash, Cornwall. Car rallies, festivals such as the Elephant Fayre and the Port Eliot Lit Fest are held in the park but normally neither the house nor its grounds are open to the public.
Port Eliot House, Cornwall is owned by the present Earl of St Germans The grade I listed house houses a collection of paintings, including several by Joshua Reynolds. It has a remarkable Tudor gateway.
The Priory of Augustinian Canons had a priory on this site, and abandoned it at the dissolution of the monasteries. The King had the priory stripped of everything of value, and sold the ruin as a private residence to John Champernowne, a Devon squire in 1540. The estate then went to his son Henry Champernowne, of Modbury. And in turn he sold it in 1564 to John Eliot a gentleman of St Germans and soon after purchasing he took up residence.
From 1573 the property was known as Port-Elyot, and later as Port Eliot. Edward Eliot was raised to the peerage in 1784, the grounds were remodeled in 1792. In 1815 his son became the Earl of St Germans, and the property has remained in the family until the current day.
The straggling village of St. Germans was once the estate village to Port Eliot house.
Port Eliot Litfest
Hosted by the Earl of St Germans, the Port Eliot Lit Fest is a three-day annual event that attracts a wide range of performers. It is a mix of writers, poets, filmmakers, digital artists, sculptors and musicians, and in addition you can dine in splendour by candlelight in Port Eliot house.
Visitors can pitch their tents and enjoy the cutting-edge performances in hundreds of acres of 18th century landscaped parkland and gardens in the grounds of Port Eliot. Campers can also be able to enjoy deluxe hot showers.
The film tent has a seating capacity of approx 250 and black out facility. In the house there was The Artytechs Parlour, where you will find cutting-edge experiments in artistic digital technology.
Historic House Cornwall Map