Trebah was planted in the 1830s by Charles Fox. It became a collection of the rarest and most exotic plants and trees from all over the world. BY the 1930's it was regarded as one of the most beautiful gardens in England. However in 1939 the estate was sole and split up. The gardens plunged into 40 years of neglect.
In 1980 Trebah was bought by the Hibbert family who began massive restoration work, and opened the gardens to the public in 1987. They then donated the Garden, Trebah House and Lodge in 1990 to the Trebah Garden Trust which is a registered charity, to ensure it will remain open to everyone for ever. The trust is managed by a council elected by the 600 members
The steeply wooded ravine garden of 25 acres falls 200 feet from the 18th century house down to a private beach on the Helford River. A stream cascading over waterfalls, through ponds full of giant Koi carp, and exotic water plants, winds through 2 acres of blue and white hydrangeas and spills out over the beach. Glades of huge sub tropical tree ferns and palms mingle with a multitude of trees and shrubs of ever changing colours and scent beneath an over arching canopy of 100 year old rhododendrons.
The beach is peaceful and secluded, and is open to garden visitors. It has views over the mouth of the Helford River, and was used by the 29th US Infantry Division to embark for their D-Day assault on Omaha Beach
Cornwall Tourist Information Cornwall Calling front page
The hotel to stay at when visiting Cornwall is Corisande Manor Hotel, Cornwall find out more about it