Tuckingmill, Camborne, Cornwall
Tuckingmill was a medieval settlements and records show that as early as the 13th century there were mills in the Red River Valley.
The area progressed from tin streaming to deep mining for copper by the end of the 17th century. By the early 19th century manufacturing service industries wee operating in Tuckingmill – Bickford’s fuse works (1831), Vivian’s Foundry (1833), ropewalks,and by 1834, the first Camborne Town gasworks.
By 1837 the Hayle Railway Co. ran its main line just to the south. The Camborne-Redruth Tramway was laid in 1902 and improved communications further.
Tuckingmill was able to stay reasonably prosperous through most of the slumps in mining in the 19th century. But by the 20th century mines closed in the area. Dolcoath and Roskear were the last of the large mines to close in the 1920s, and South Crofty was the last of all Cornish mines to close in 1999.
However there was a strong export market for fuses, rock-drills and foundry products.But eventually decline for these products too. The two branch railways closed, North Crofty in 1948, North Roskear in 1963. Today little is left of the mining industry, except for the buildings that remain.
Camborne & Redruth Mines