St Merryn is a cluster of grey slate cottages round the church of St Marina plus a pub, The Farmers Arms
Around St Merryn is Trevose Head with its lighthouse, and a number of good surf and swimming beaches.
Mother Ivy's Bay is the home of the Padstow lifeboat, and Rick Stein, the TV cook (his house is a white art deco building with a prominent glass staircase on the side - you can walk past the front door on the Cornwall Coast Path).
Between this bay and Harlyn Bay is Cataclews Point, which was quarried for the greenstone used for church fonts and windows.
At Harlyn Bay 130 Iron Age graves were discovered in 1900; they are believed to have been a small dark-haired people who were the original inhabitants of Cornwall. Harlyn was once a thriving pilchard seine and The Cellars across the beach stored the catch. The inscription over the door - 'Lucri Dulsis Odor' - means 'Sweet is the scent of riches'!
On the other southern side of Trevose Head is a golf course and Constantine Bay and Booby's Bay.
St Merryn Aerodrome Ltd opened in January 1937 as a civil airport, in 1940 it was rebuilt as a Fleet Air Arm Station, HMS Vulture. The site was also known as HMS Curlew after the war. The Air Station closed in 1956 much of it still survives today, but is in a run down and derelict condition in the main. The disused Control Tower, Hangar's, Accommodation Blocks and Cinema are still standing and the CO's Quarter's is now a Farmhouse.
St Merryn, Cornwall genealogical information from Genuki