Probus, Cornwall grew as a wool town, which funded the tallest church tower in Cornwall. 123 ft of carved moonstone
Probus Parish Church was built in the 16th century and it dominates the small village. Large Georgian houses and old granite cottages line the broad main street leading to the church.
Near Probus, Cornwall are the County Demonstration garden and Rural Studies centre where they grow several varieties of plants, flowers and vegetables under different conditions and regimes. Hence it is possible to see which suits local conditions best.
a mile to the east of Probus is Trewithen, whose attractive gardens are open to the public in the summer. it was formerly the home of the Hawkins family, and was built in the 17th century. 2004 was the centenary year for Trewithen Gardens, being 100 years since George Johnstone inherited Trewithen and began the expansion and development of the gardens as we know them today.When George Johnstone inherited Trewithen in 1904 at the age of 22, the shrub garden did not exist, but there was much besides; a handsome house surrounded by magnificent beech trees in the setting of a fine landscaped park.
Probus, Cornwall, Genealogical Informationl from Genuki
The Book of Probus: Cornwall's Garden Parish Alan M Kent, Danny L J Merrifield