Devoran is on the south coast in Restronguet Creek on the Fal Estuary about 4 miles South West of Truro. Today it is a commuter town for Truro and Falmouth
The parish is named after the Cornish word for water, 'Dowr', and is where two rivers meet.
Devoran was once a boom town with a railway line to the mines, extensive wharves, and boatyards with ships and barges coming and going in the creek. It was once an important shipping place for the importation of timber, coals and iron, for the mines, and for the exportation of copper and other ores.
Devoran's industrial boom began in the early 19th century, when tin streaming, mining, (and foundries and metal smelting) were located at Devoran. A railway was constructed from the Gwennap mines to Point, where the copper ore could be taken aboard ship. This was the Redruth and Chasewater Railway, which operated from 1824. The trains would then return with coal for the mine's steam engines which the ships had brought in. By 1840 wharves had been built all along the creek from Devoran to Point, plus boatyards, repair shops and housing for the people. However waste from tin mines upstream was slowly silting up the port, and at the same time cheaper tin discovered in other parts of the world made it uneconomic to mine in Cornwall, and the port of Devoran lapsed into disuse.
Devoran is actually different from other mineral ports in Cornwall. It was
planned from the start to be a complete new town, with a classical symmetry.
And it is the best example in Cornwall at this scale of a planned 19th century
settlement. It was built to be more than just a mineral port - a place of general
trade, professional and commercial significance.
Genealogical Information about Devoran, Cornwall from Genuki