Davidstow is a small village on the northern edge of Bodmin Moor and is named after David, Bishop of Menevia. In the past the parish was called 'Dewstow' from the Cornish for David: 'Dewy'. The parish is 12 miles to the West of Launceston. Farming is the main industry.
An imposing grade 2* church is beside the main road from Camelford to Launceston. Davidstow Church goes back to the early 13th Century. In the 18th Century it suffered from neglect and decay due to non-resident vicars and by the middle of the 19th Century it was in a bad state. A huge restoration project in the late 19th century restored the church. Then dwindling congregations made the diocese consider closing it. But in the 1990's an unexpected increase in local interest, gave more funds that have enable restoration.
Davidstow Well is a low structure built from local granite and is now covered with patches of lichen. It sits in of an open field behind the church, seemingly forgotten.The water supply is reputed to never run dry, even though, since the war, the water has been pumped away to a nearby cheese factory at a phenomenal rate.
A World War II aerodrome was built, and the disused runways still scar the moor. The air strip was used mainly by the Americans and Canadians for training in the run up to D-Day and were visited by General Eisenhower during 1944. In the 1950's motor racing took place on the abandoned airfield, including three Formula 1 races, but a lack of sponsorship and increasing safety regulations stopped the motor racing too. The disused airfield is still used for balloons ascending
St Kitt's Hill, on the western side of the parish, is 985 feet above sea-level.
Davidstow, Cornwall genealogical information from Genuki