Boyton, a village and parish, 5 miles N.W. of Launceston. It is on the Devon - Cornwall border, the road to Boyton from Launceston crosses through more than two miles of Devon.
The parishes of Week St Mary and North Tamerton join it on the Cornish side, otherwise it abuts, and is nearly surrounded by, the former Devon parishes of North Petherwin. Werrington, St Giles-in-the-Heath, and the Devon parish of Luffingcot and a Devon village called Northcot Hamlet which crosses the River Tamar.
The parish is named after Boia's Farm. It is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Boitone. The surrounding country gives pleasant views over wooded hills and valleys with Dartmoor prominent in the distance. The defunct Bude canal passed through this parish on the east side, and there was a wharf at Boyton Bridge.
There has been a church here from Norman times. The present church was built towards the end of the reign of Henry VI in the 14th century. The tower also dates from the fourteenth century and is of two stories and contains five bells. Some of the earlier Norman building can be seen in the chancel, a strange goose like creature has been carved on one of the roof bosses. The font, claimed by some to be Saxon, is a simple, crude bowl standing on a pillar. The ancient screen has some fine carving particularly on the sixteenth century base. The church was fully restored in 1876, with a chancel, nave and south aisle, in addition to its tower.
Boyton, Cornwall genealogical information from Genuki Genealogical