St Enodoc Church is found by walking along the sea front from the ferry, and across the golf course and sand dunes. The chapel-of-ease of St Enodoc (or as it is called in some records St Gwinnodock) is in an area that was originally of shifting towans (or sandhills). It is hidden away in the sand that has threatened to bury it.
The church is thought to be built built on the site of a cave where St. Enodoc the hermit lived. He baptised his converts at the Jesus Well a half mile away.
Today it is surrounded by the fairways of the St. Enodoc Golf Course.
This church was said to have been first built in 1430. It consists of a chancel, a nave, a short south aisle and a north transept to which is joined a tower surmounted by a spire containing one bell.
In the 18th and 19th century the church fell into disrepair and became almost buried in the sand, to such an extent that the had to get in via the north transept roof. At that time services were performed only once a year only, and the the clergyman had to gain entrance through a skylight, made especially for that task. The south porch is the only entrance to this church, so that must have been buried in sand.
The building was renovated in 1853 - 1864 The vicar, the Rev. Hart Smith was responsible for restoring the chapel. Prior to restoration, the sands were up to the eastern gable, the building was wet, the pews were covered in mould and worm eaten, bats lived in the belfry. To restore the church, the foundations needed strengthening, the sand removed, the roof renewed and new pews installed. The churchyard cleared and fenced with a wall.
St Enodoc Church is where John Betjeman, the former poet laureate is buried. Betjeman died in Trebetherick on 19 May, 1984. Sir John Betjeman, wrote of the church in " Sunday Afternoon Service At St. Enodoc " and today a slate headstone marks his grave. Access only by foot across St. Enodoc Golf Club at Trebetherick, Nr. Rock. It is about a 1 mile walk. His grave is located near the south side of the church. The church itself is approached via the 10th fairway of the golf course. Sir John’s father has a memorial tablet on the south wall of the nave and his mother is buried in the churchyard near the west boundary wall.
Rock village information
St Enodoc Golf Course