South Hill Church is dedicated to St Sampson. South Hill Church is in a small rural parish in east Cornwall, 3 miles from Callington and 6 miles from Liskeard. The church was dedicated by Bishop Grandisson, bishop of Exeter, on 4th November 1333.
This was the mother church of Callington. St Sampson was born around 500 AD and is believed to have set up a monastery at either South Hill or Golant. A Romano-British granite pillar about 8ft high with an inscribed cross and inscription on it was found in the rectory grounds in 1891 and was re-erected in the churchyard. The vicarage has since been demolished and South Hill is now no more than a church, a farm and a handful of houses.
The north transept is dedicated to the Manaton family.
The chancel was restored in 1859. There was probably a leper colony in the area as there is a hagioscope (hole cut in the wall) to allow a view of the chancel and a separate access door which was only recently blocked up. The idea being that lepers and other non-desirables could see the service without coming into contact with the rest of the populace
The embattled tower is at the west end and has five bells. The tower has three stages, is buttressed at the angles, and finished with battlements and low pinnacles. The parapet of the tower is supported by the twelve apostles.
The arcade has four four-centred arches, supported on monolith
granite pillars. The entrances are a south porch and a priest's door.
South Hill Church genealogical information on Genuki
South Hill Church Information from Lynher parishes.