Pengersick Castle is a fortified Tudor manor house hidden away in Praa Sands (between Helston and Penzance). The oldest part still standing dates from 1500, but there has been a building on this site for at least 900 years. It is reputedly the most haunted castle in Britain.
The original Pengersick family settled here in the 12th century. They took their name from the place. The outline of their extensive house and associated village settlement, chapel and garden has been identified through archaeological evidence and geophysical survey.
Many people have claimed to have encountered some of the 20 odd ghosts said to be here. Many have seen or photographed strange orbs of light. Electrical malfunctions are common place. There are massive temperature drops. Ghosts include. A 14th century monk, a 13 year old girl who danced to her death off the battlements, a 4 year old boy who tugs at ladies dresses, the re-enactment of a medieval murder, a woman seen walking through a wall and pacing the room, a woman stabbed to death in the castle, a man stabbed and strangled in 1546 in front of a fireplace, several previous owner.
Plague resulted in a break in the direct inheritance during the 15th century. However a dynastic marriage around 1500 of the surviving heiress resulted in the creation of a magnificent, fortified Tudor dwelling. It is the dual tower complex of this, which survives today. Its spacious newel stair is one of the best examples of this to be found anywhere in the country.
The property is still in private hands and is only open by appointment. Included is a tour of the tower, grounds and Resource Centre where the many facets of Pengersick's history are on show. A member of the family or staff will show you round.
The grounds are being developed to show horticulture through the ages. An oak grove has been planted. The reconstruction of a Mediaeval Garden is now complete and plus a Knot Garden in the Tudor style.
One of the most colourful episodes in the history of Pengersick was involvement in the wreck of the carrack “The St Anthony”, the King of Portugal's treasure ship, which floundered off Gunwalloe on 19 th January 1527. Most of the cargo, valued at the time £18,880, vanished for ever. Nobody could prove who was responsible, but one of those under strong suspicion was John Milliton of Pengersick. A local diver carried out an official exploration of the site about 20 years ago. He recovered some 300 artifacts. Seeking to find a permanent home for these items, he offered them to the Pengersick Trust. Added to these was a scale model of the carrack, together with a selection of maps and documentary evidence of the wreckPengersick Castle
Pengersick Castle Ghosts
Cornwall Castles Map